Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Class frog visits our house


by Skylar (with a bit of help from Dad.)

Well, I don't think you knew that I took Kelso home over the vacation.

Kelso is the little black tadpole that is about to turn into a frog.  Our 2nd grade class is learning about the life cycle of a frog so we took him to watch him grow.  My teacher, Ms. Shelly collected him from a little pool of water in the big park in Dakar called Hann Park.

I'm keeping it over the weekend and short vacation because my teacher can not leave it at school.  Kelso is a full grown froglet and is always going out of the water.  Ms. Shelly said we had to change the water when he was staying with us so he would stay clean.  My mom set out water for a couple days so the chlorine evaporates.

To change the water, first you scoop out the duck weed that is floating on top.  Then, you scoop Kelso out with the net and put him in one of the clean waters.  While we were changing his water, he jumped out of the net onto the floor.  And then, we grabbed him quickly and dropped him into the clean water.  We then put the cooling rack back on top of the little tank.

Then, when Kelso was waiting in the little container for us to finish cleaning, he looked up at us and then jumped all the way through the cooling rack and all the way to the floor!

We quickly grabbed him, dropped him back into the water and this time, put a few books on top of the cooling rack.

After cleaning, we put him back with the tank and put it near the window, with books on top of the cooling rack..  We gave him some food and we called Ms. Shelly.

"Hello.  This is Skylar."

"Hello Skylar," said Ms. Shelly.

"Kleso has been jumping out of the net onto the floor at water changing time.  What should we do?  I think we should let him go at Hann Park."

"Well," Ms. Shelly said, "I hope you can hold him back just until vacation ends because I would really like the kids to be able to say good bye to him and have a good bye ceremony."

"I don't know about it," I said.  "You should probably talk to my mom."

The adults talked bout Kelso and then they decided to try to hold off.  My mom rearranged the rocks so there was a very big place to sit.  There was a problem because now without his tail, he could easily jump out of the tank.  We couldn't leave the books on top because he wouldn't have enough air.  So, we thought and decided to put bug netting on top.

We tried to hold the bug netting on with a rubber band but when we tried, the rubber band snapped.  The tank was too big for it to go around.  Then, my mom had the idea to cut the rubber bands and tied them together to make one giant rubber band.  Then, we stuck it around.

Now, Kelso is happy and he is hungry also but I just fed him, so I think he just hasn't found his food.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment